If dishes such as kedgeree, jook, zosui and congee are popular breakfasts in other cultures, it shouldn't be that weird to simply substitute rice with oatmeal, right? I first discovered the beauty of savory oatmeal several years back, when I ran out of brown rice at home. I didn't want to make a trip to the shops, and simply used oats instead of rice, and ended up with Chicken Oatmeal Congee! It was so fast, simple and delicious! After this 'discovery', I ended up with different 'concoctions' for making savory oatmeal, and had it occasionally for lunch and dinner too! You can practically add almost anything to it, and it still taste good!
This is one of my favorite savory oatmeal recipe for breakfast! This was the first time I made it for James, and he was totally amazed by how delicious, yet simple it was to prepare! He believes that it will taste fabulous with bacon in it; I'll probably try that next time:)
|James' Savory Oatmeal with Egg. It taste the best with runny egg yolk!|
3/4 cup oats (I used GF oats)
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
2 large egg (I used 1 in my case because I can't eat eggs)
2 green onion (chopped)
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
A few grinds of black pepper
- Place the oats, salt and water in a dish. Microwave on HIGH, uncovered for about 2 mins. Stir, and microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- While oatmeal is being cooked, toast some pumpkin seeds using a frying pan.
- Remove dish from oven and let it stand for about 3 mins. While standing, fry the egg in a pan. Transfer the egg to a bowl and top with egg, scallion and lots of pepper:)
- Mix the toppings into the oatmeal
|Mine with lots of toasted sunflower seeds instead of an egg|
- You can omit eggs if you are vegan or have egg allergies. Simply toast more sunflower seeds so that you get some protein in your oatmeal!
- I prefer cooking my oatmeal in a microwave because it is so easy. Feel free to use the stove top to cook your oatmeal!
- If you do not like fried eggs, you can also stir a beaten egg into the oatmeal when it is cooking for the 30 seconds.
Other Savory Oatmeal Recipes
Have you had savory oatmeals before? If so, do you prefer savory or sweet oatmeals?