I would have enjoyed making some cupcakes, but the beauty of this recipe caught my attention, and I ended up making this instead – Quinoa Stuffed Bell Pepper Cups. I have always drooled over dishes that uses bell peppers as "containers", so this was certainly the perfect time to get my hands dirty. I’ve not tried the meat lover’s version of stuffed bell peppers, but I’d dare say that meat lovers will love this vegetarian version all the same. It’s gotten my family’s thumbs-up, so I will be making them again in time to come. If you’re a meat lover, I will give you a dare – try this recipe, and tell me if you like it!
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Pepper Cups
Adapted from Meat Lover's Vegetarian
1/2 cup quinoa (or rice or couscous)
4 bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise without removing stems
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red onion, diced
½ fresh red chilli, seeded and minced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped basil.
Salt and ground pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
1/2 lemon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Cook quinoa (or rice) according to package instructions.
- Remove seeds and membranes of the bell peppers. Bring a pot of water and 1 tsp of salt to a simmer. Add the pepper into the water and submerge it for about 5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Remove the pepper and drain the water; transfer to a baking dish.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the oil. Add onion and fresh chilli, and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, carrot, greens, and 2 tbsp of water until the greens are wilted.
- Stir in the herbs and quinoa and mix everything together until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the bell peppers with the filling and sprinkle crumbled cheese (this step is optional).
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil over the stuffed peppers and bake for about 20 minutes
- Squeeze lemon juice over before serving. Enjoy!