- Extra virgin olive oil
- Ground pepper
- Ground cinnamon
- Lemon and lime
- Canned beans
- Rolled oats (I need my oatmeal)
- Garlic (I use them a lot in cooking)
- Onion (I use them a lot in cooking)
- Quinoa (I was deciding between quinoa and brown rice)
- Tamari sauce (for Japanese dishes)
- White Miso Paste (for Japanese dishes)
- Dashi powder (for Japanese dishes)
- Walnuts (nuts are my go-to snack)
- Chicken broth (I need my savory oatmeal)
- Fresh herbs (basil, mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- Fresh fruits (I need my daily dose of fruits to stay regular)
- A bar of dark chocolate !!
With my newly stocked pantry, the first dish I made was this quinoa salad. Quinoa is my best friend, and if you have been following this blog for some time, you should know how much I adore it. This salad is light, citrusy and perfect for summer – it’s perfect for the weather in New York and Connecticut now! Sala from Veggie Belly used ripe mangoes, but I substituted it with unripe mangoes because I didn’t want a salad that is too sweet. Either ways, I think they are still scrummy:)
Fruity Quinoa Chickpea Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing
Adapted from Veggie Belly
For the quinoa
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
For salad additions
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup unripe mangoes, cubed (for sweeter variation, use ripe mangoes)
1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
For the lemon basil dressing
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp zest of lime
1 tbsp basil leaves, minced
1/2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- To cook quinoa, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan; add the quinoa, bring back to boil, cover and cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all the water. Remove cooked quinoa from heat, fluff, cover and allow it to stand for another 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine the blueberries, mango and chickpeas in a bowl and set aside in the refrigerator. Combine the ingredients for the dressing. When the quinoa is ready, add the cooked quinoa to the bowl of fruits and chickpeas.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Allow to chill for 1 hour or more to allow flavors to blend. Salad keeps well overnight. Enjoy!
What other pantry items would you buy during a two months stay like this?
What are the must-have items in your pantry?